Application & Guide
Open Call – We accept applications on a rolling basis.
The ARV.I artist residency program in 2024 provides a stimulating and flexible environment for international contemporary artists to experiment, do new works, and extend their exhibition experience. ARV.I is also a place for artists to clear out from their usual habitat, meet other international artists, and engage with and experience the village life in Vishovgrad and the culture and landscape of Veliko Turnovo. During the period at ARV.I, artists can develop their work and follow up with their projects on their terms. The 2024 artist residency program accepts a maximum of three artists each month. One may apply for one or several months. Selected artists-in-resident receive accommodation, shared studio space, a solo exhibition at Gallery Heerz Tooya in Veliko Turnovo, and assistance with his or her art project. We encourage all accepted applicants to apply for external funding for the residency fee and other expenses, including solo exhibition expenses, travel, and transport. ARV.I will provide accepted applicants a letter of agreement regarding the residency program and a letter of intent regarding the solo exhibition, including other documents to help the process of external funding. We remind all applicants that the Artist Residency is in a rural village. It is essential to have an open mindset for different cultures and be an independent person who takes cognizance of living with others and can cope with the explorative prospects of living a rustic village life.
Availability in 2024
- May: 1 Small Room / 2 Big Rooms
- June: 1 Small Room / 2 Big Rooms
- July: 1 Small Room / 2 Big Rooms
- August: 1 Small Room / 2 Big Rooms
- September: 1 Small Room / 2 Big Rooms
We have waiting lists. We encourage everyone to apply regardless of the month being full.
- Small room: 650 Euro,- (incl. small exhibition space at Heerz Tooya / flexible)
- Big room: 800 Euro, (incl. big exhibition space at Heerz Tooya / flexible)
ARV. I Offers
- 96m2 shared studio space.
- Private bedrooms w/single beds, shared kitchen, bathroom, and garden (incl. wifi).
- Solo exhibition in Veliko Turnovo at the end of the residency period. Including curatorial assistance and promotion materials. Exhibition venues in the old capital include Gallery Heerz Tooya.
- Assistance by the ARV.I internship including local guidance, networking, and logistics regarding individual art projects and exhibitions.
- Letter of agreement and documents for external fundings.
- The program can accommodate a maximum of three residents at a time.
- Accepted applicants must deposit 50% of the Residency fee four months before arrival. If canceled, the deposit will not be refunded. This condition is strictly due to respect for other applications and planning of the exhibition program throughout the year 2024.
- ARV.I do not cover travel and costs of living.
- Spoken language is primarily English and Bulgarian.
- ARV.I do not cover production materials, insurance, or any transport of materials, artworks, or objects produced or collected during the residency period.
How to apply
Compose an email with the following information:
- Full name:
- Date of birth:
- Current city of residence:
- Preferred gender pronoun:
- I apply for the month:
- How I found the ARV.I Open Call:
- My solo exhibition will include:
In the E-mail, please attach one PDF document (max 10mb) including your CV, artist statement, and photo documentation of your recent artworks and exhibitions.
Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ARV.I 2024 Artist Residency / your name Make sure you send the application minimum four months in advance before planned arrival - according to the 50% prepayment. You will recieve shortly a reply regarding your application, if accepted or not.
- There are no ATMs in Vishovgrad. The nearest ones are in Byala Cherkva and Pavlikeni.
- Use this gas station to fill the ARV.I Lada with gas.
- When buying glass bottles at the local shop in Vishovgrad, always bring the glass bottles back to the shop.
- The local shops in Vishovgrad have the most basic needs and open around 08:00 in the morning and close around 22:00 in the evening.
Vishovgrad - Pavlikeni: (+359) 0 87600 363 (English speaking) / 14 lv Tip: A usual central meeting point is Unicredit Bulbank. Vishovgrad - Veliko Turnovo: 40 - 45 lv
From Veliko Turnovo to Vishovgrad, you may use all taxies. Tip: If in doubt, you may ask Danche, the local shop in Vishovgrad, to call a taxi for you.
BUSES and TRAINS
Vishovgrad busstop Vishovgrad - Veliko Turnovo: 06:45 / 5 lv Tips: When you arrive at Veliko Turnovo, jump off here. You may take the city bus 10, 13, 20, 40, 50 or 110 to the city center. Download the city bus app: Moovit to see the bus schedule. Or take a taxi.
Vishovgrad - Pavlikeni: 18:45 -ish / 3 lv Veliko Turnovo busstop Veliko Turnovo - Vishovgrad: 18:10 -sih / 5 lv Tip: Look for a small, shabby yellowish minibus among all the buses.
Veliko Turnovo - Sofia (23 lv - ish): Search for bus schedules on www.biomet.bg/en
Pavlikeni - Sofia (20 lv - ish): Search for train schedules on www.bdz.bg/en
RENT A CAR
Didi Autocomplex in Veliko Turnovo: www.travel-agent-bg.com/en/rent-a-car (+359) 8882 66 966 Tip: It is recommended to have a car, as there are limited buses in and out of the village.
- Cultural House in the village center.
- Vishovgrad waterfall and swimming spot
- Emen waterfall, canyon, and swimming spot
- Small hardware store 1 / Small hardware store 2 / (Tip: There are many small hardware stores around)
- Small art material shop
- Metal shop
- Mediana Farma Pharmacy
- Historical Museum
- Unicredit Bulbank
- Farmers- and Flee Market (Every Tuesday morning)
- Print shops: Vex1 / Vali / G Art Custom / Gama art material shop / Sirius (Tip: the last one is for various simple prints).
- Large hardware stores: Praktiker / Praktis / Sharkov
- City State Museum (Tip: around the corner is a great bar, Gallery Bar)
- Samurai Cafe (Tips: next to it is the great night bar Tequila Bar)
- Rich Restaurant (Tips: average food, a great local spot with a great view)
- Tsarevets Fortress
- Malkia Inter (Hostel and restaurant - good food, local)
- Rafael Mihaylov Exhibition Halls
- Narrative Gallery
- TAM (great cultural event space)
- Hipster Bar
- Second hand 1 / Second hand 2 / Second hand 3
- Shtastliveca Restaurant (Well-known enterprise - good food and view / vegan + vegetarian)
There are plenty of other museums, galleries, bars, restaurants, and landmarks around the city.